Really

Most people label themselves as a certain brand of religion or non-religion. I'm not so into labels. I haven't needed to align myself or my thinking to any one religion in years. Give me personal responsibility, self knowledge, and true relationships. I want to think and talk with other people who think and talk. I want life, love, and laughter. I'm more intrigued by the idea of a life philosophy than a religion, but if this is a religion, great. If not, that's fine too.

But I have tolerated a good amount of religion for the sake of surviving in a culture permeated by an over-abundance of 'good Christian people'. I am not one of these people. I have never been. I sympathize, but I am not cut from this cloth.

And I've had enough. Really enough. Of trying to mangle myself into a mold to look like the kind of person that I find not only miserably backward, but dangerously devoid of morality.

I am surrounded by people who believe in a God who they can blame for their shortfalls, who will fill their emotional needs, and who they call out to for help. Instead of being accountable for their actions, feeling about the world they live in, or taking care of themselves.

I am acknowledging that a fair amount of my pain isn't because of the divorce. Rather, it's related to the third-party expectations placed on me by the religious group with which we were associated. Well, no more. I don't need or want it.

I will no longer associate with these people. Who abdicate real life under an umbrella of 'believing in a big God'. Who trade human experience for 'hope in the eternal'. Who cry out endlessly to a God who likely isn't there or who certainly isn't listening.  I can respect the need, real or felt, to have a super-imposed structure or system ... but that is not how I operate. Not at all.

Today's song: Take me to Church by Hozier